Athletics Code of Fair Play
The following points are in place to ensure a respectful, civil, safe, fair, and enjoyable athletic experience for athletes, coaches, and parents.
- play by the rules, and in the spirit of the game;
- recognize the efforts of teammates, and do their best to encourage teammates through positive reinforcement;
- be respectful and thankful for the time and help of coaches;
- be respectful of officials, and accept the decisions of the officials gracefully;
- be respectful of opponents, and spectators; and,
- conduct themselves with honour, dignity and sportsmanship.
- teach their athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents;
- set a good example of sportsmanship;
- be clear in their expectations, and ensure all athletes receive equal instruction and support;
- not ridicule athletes for making mistakes or for losing a competition;
- ensure the equipment and facilities are safe and appropriate to the age and ability of the players; and,
- be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that young athletes have other interests.
Parents and Spectators are reminded:
- to encourage athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, coaches, officials, and opponents;
- to encourage children to play for their own enjoyment;
- to never ridicule or yell at an athlete for making mistakes or losing a competition;
- to show respect and appreciation for the coaches who give their time to provide sport instruction and activities;
- to respect the officials decision, never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public; and,
- that inappropriate language or conduct directed at athletes, coaches, officials will not be tolerated.